Transport for NSW – Advanced Train Control System Technical Advisor
The Advanced Train Control System (ATCS) Program involves the deployment of an advanced train protection and control system in the high performance corridors in Sydney’s suburban and intercity rail network. The initiative is a part of the Sydney’s Rail Future long term plan to increase the capacity of Sydney’s rail network through investment in new services and upgrading of infrastructure.
In particular, the system is based upon the implementation of axle counters for train detection, Computer Based Interlocking (CBI) for route proving and setting, European Train Control system (ETCS) Level 2 for generation and control of movement authorities, Automatic Train Operation (ATO) and centralised Traffic Management System for optimisation of operational performances.
Scott Lister, in their capacity of Technical Advisor, was responsible for developing the ATCS System Requirement Specification and the Concept Design as an Authorised Engineering Organisation.
The disciplines covered by these design activities were:
• Conventional Signalling
• European Train Control System Trackside and On-board
• Traffic Management system
• Automatic Train Operation
The scope of works included:
• Development of Illustrative concept,
• Support to development of Business Requirement,
• Development of Performance based Systems and Sub-Systems Requirement Specification,
• Technical Optioneering Papers (e.g. Automatic Train regulation, Automatic Train Operation, Worksite Protection, DMI Fitment, Freight Fitment, Disaster Recovery, Temporary Speed Restrictions, Axle Counter Reset, Braking Curves, Level Crossings, National Values)
• Development of System Architecture
• Development of Migration Strategy
Scott Lister has demonstrated through this engagement a great capability and capacity of integrating with their partners (Systra in particular) and delivering on-time quality products.
The feedback Scott Lister has received from TfNSW for this engagement defined our performance as ‘Superior’ – citation from Professional Services Contractor Report ATCS TA for TfNSW (TPD).